Napier jewelry is made and sold today, but the Napier name was first used for Napier costume jewelry in 1922.
However, the company that eventually became Napier, the Whitney and Rice Company, a silver manufacturer in Attleboro, MA, was founded in 1875. The company was sold and named E.A. Bliss and Co. in 1882 and during that decade the company grew rapidly and in 1890 moved to an expanded facility in Meriden, CT.
James Napier became president of E.A. Bliss in 1920 and the company was renamed Napier Bliss, until 1922, when the company named changed to Napier Company. James Napier continued to run the company until 1960. Victoria and Co. purchased Napier in the 1980s and new Napier jewelry is still sold.
Napier vintage costume jewelry is what collectors like, and especially coveted are Napier charm bracelets made with large art glass beads. Napier Christmas jewelry is also highly collectible.
Vintage costume jewelry made by Napier tended to be simple and elegant, and was also quite modern, often with a sculpted look.
In business under the Napier name for nearly 90 years, there have been many Napier signatures. First used in 1922 was “Napier” in block letters. Any pieces marked “Napier Sterling” are very popular with collectors and often fetch good prices. After 1955, the copyright symbol was added to the Napier signatures.
Preston Reuther is a "Master Wire Sculptor" and Cameo Appraiser and has been collecting and selling Vintage Jewelry for over 30 years. He is a jewelry instructor and has produced over 100 jewelry making videos and owns two vintage jewelry stores WWW.CAMEOJEWELRY.COM and WWW.ANTIQUECAMEOS.COM You may reach him at either store.